In November 2022, on behalf of the SOAWR Coalition, member organisation Alliances for Africa (observer status number 235) submitted a statement to the 73rd Ordinary Session of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR).
The statement calls upon the Commission to:
- address challenges and barriers relating to Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR)
- continue to utilise its recently published guidelines on shadow reporting on the Maputo Protocol
- address the disproportionate effect that the COVID-19 pandemic, the proliferation of armed conflict and an unprecedented rise in unconstitutional changes of government are having on women
- urge the remaining 12 African Union Member States to ratify the Maputo Protocol
- increase engagement on the implementation of the Maputo Protocol in the other 43 Member States
To read the full statement,